Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Computer Terror

It doesn’t take much for a un-GEEK to cringe in fear when talking to a computer GEEK.  I recently purchased a new printer and was having installation problems. I called the company and was connected to a man immediately. He said he would connect my printer automatically by taking control of my computer. This was okay because I have had this done before. He tried to install the printer and came up with several errors. The error was for the IPA address. He showed me on my computer the dates and times my computer had been hacked into. In other words, other people were using my internet.

He then told me about a GEEK squad who could remove everything which needed to be removed and repair my firewall which had been compromised.  The cost varied for 3 -5 years from $300 - $500 dollars.

My first thought when I saw the firewall breach was panic and fear. I would have paid the price and I told him I would. Then I took a deep breath and used my brain. Think!!!

I asked him to call me back and I called Staples and spoke to the man who had worked on my computer a few days ago. He told me when I had my computer cleaned out and they ran diagnostic tests those were the phone numbers which is what I was seeing and the man from the printer company was confused.  The charge for installing the printer is $30.00 and I said I would be there with bells on.

What I have been doing for the last three years is go to their GEEK Squad and have them put in the virus protection and pay for a 1-year warranty against all viruses. This has kept my old lap told working to which I am extremely happy.
Stop and think before dealing with stressful situations.

Linda Meckler, author copyright 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment